This evening we ate Sirloin Burgers with Gorgonzola Cheese and Mediterranean Slaw; actually to be honest, we ate the burgers and pretty much passed after one taste of the slaw. The burgers were pretty good, they were tasty but not outstanding. Beef, salt, pepper, sage, olive oil and onion were mixed together to form giant patties. The onion was grated rather than chopped, resulting in a juicy onion sludge, which I liked as an approach. It meant there was no raw onion taste to the burgers. The burgers were fried with balsamic vinegar added to the pan in between cooking the first and second sides. This mainly created an enormous splattery mess in the kitchen (no matter how many times we talk about it we never remember to buy a splatter guard). It also means that the kitchen smells of burnt vinegar, but it certainly wasn’t a detectable flavour in the burgers. The burgers were topped with Gorgonzola and served in buns with arugula.
The slaw was a different kettle of fish altogether. The dressing set off some alarm bells- feta cheese, olive oil, garlic, lemon and sugar were puréed in the food processor “until smooth”. My first blend had the consistency of regurgitated food. I didn’t want to add even more olive oil so I added some water in an attempt to achieve the elusive smooth quality. It was smoother, but there were still tiny lumps of cheese and garlic suspended in the oil, like a curdled disaster. Moving on, the dressing went onto a radicchio and red onion slaw, and was topped with poppy seeds and sesame seeds. This was, in a word, vile. The dressing tasted like it looked, to be honest, and that is the heavily edited polite version. The whole taste sensation was onion and garlic dressed in a pungent, sweet, acidic, curdled dressing. This is not a recipe we’ll ever bring out again; it was extremely odd and seemed thrown together for novelty reasons. Tomorrow we’ll be making Chicken Cacciatore Stoup. I really hope that it uses up some of the random odds and ends of ingredients we have left over from recent recipes.
And to end the post of the day, it’s time for the obligatory grumble about our lack of image posting capabilities. For something that was supposed to be fixed within 24 hours, this problem is certainly being dragged out. I’ve spent an enormous amount of time on hold or explaining the same set of circumstances over and over to different people. My favourite response so far is the email explaining that the way we’d been uploading images is apparently so wrong that “The steps you are taking are not for uploading and displaying an image”. Funny how those very same steps worked for 63 days. Och well, maybe if we started following the rules of “The Secret” we’d have a karmic revelation; our site would be fixed and the meals we’re cooking would all be well worth the time and effort with fabulous flavour and fantastic slimming qualities.